Sunday, December 17, 2006

Pebernødder


I've finally taken the first step into the world of active foodblogging. I look at foodblogs practically everyday, and I've wanted to do this for a long time. To be able to share my passion for cooking and eating with the other fantastic and wonderful foodbloggers from all over the world! My other passion is french, so if I suddenly start talking french, then you know the reason. Comme je viens de vous tous dire j'ai deux passions: la cuisine et la France!

The first recipe I'd like to share with you is an old family thing handed down to me by my grand-mother. It’s a very tiny cookie/biscuit called pebernødder in danish (Peppernuts or noisettes de poivre) though the lack of pepper in this recipe. It’s a must Christmas Eve, and it doesn’t ruin your appetite! On peut en grignoter beaucoup sans avoir trop mangé!

Pebernødder

125 g butter or margarine, softened *

300 g sugar

3- 3,5 dl cream

1 big tsp cardamomme

1 big tsp cinnamon

1 big tsp grounded ginger

1 kg flour

1 tsp ammonium carbonate

Beat margarine and sugar well together. Then add the cream. Mix flour with the spices and the ammonium carbonate and add to the creamy micture. Mix all well together and roll into thin rolls. Wrap in a baking sheet and rest in the refrigerator over night. Cut into 3 mm slices and bake at 190-200 degrees until golden preferably on a dark baking tray brush with melted margarine.

* Though I normally only use butter when I bake and cook, margarine actually works better in this old recipe... don’t ask me why!

3 comments:

Cerebrum said...

YAY! Fabulous Anne, I love that you've started your own foodblog - can't wait to see more posts from you! :-)

Pille said...

Welcome to the tasty world of foodblogging:)
I've had pebernödder before in DK, and like them a lot! We've got the same 'problem' in Estonia. Our Christmas cookies are called 'piparkoogid', which translates 'pepper cookies'. They've got cinnamon, cloves, ginger and lots of other spices in them, but no pepper whatsoever:)

Susan said...

Hej Anne, Sidder her i Aberdeen Skotland og leder efter gode opskrifter paa danske julekager. Jeg glaeder mig til at proeve din opskrift. God Jul :o)